The HDZ NRW Quality Report documents the large number of treatments performed by the Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and its high level of experience. Here we present an overview of the current facts and figures:
- 4,000 operations on the heart and cardiac vessels per year
- More than 1,000 pacemaker/defibrillator operations per year
- Over 1,400 heart valve operations
- More than 2,300 heart and heart-lung transplants
- More than 3,700 implantations of ventricular assist devices (VAD) and artificial hearts
- Clinical research and teaching / national and international cooperations
The Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery is a leading partner in the expert network of the German Health Insurance (DKV), responsible for the specialist area Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery. With the goal of providing the best possible care for every single patient, it is obliged to uphold and further develop universal quality standards.
4,000 operations on the heart and cardiac vessels
- Nearly 1,400 isolated heart valve operations
- More than 1,100 isolated bypass operations
- Nearly 400 heart valve operations with combined bypass surgery
- 71 heart transplants
- More than 100 implantations of VAD and artificial hearts
More than 1,000 pacemaker/defibrillator operations
- Total number of operations since 1984 >130,000
- Heart and heart-lung transplants >2,300
- VAD and artificial heart implantations >3,700
- Pacemaker/defibrillator operations >16,000
Since 1984, more than 130,000 operations have been performed by our Clinic, including more than 2,300 heart and heart-lung transplants, as well as more than 3,400 VAD and artificial heart implantations.
The specialist Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery has eight operating rooms. It also has four nursing wards (including its luxury Tuscany ward) with a total of 190 beds, an intensive care unit, a transplantation unit and a VAD unit for patients with artificial hearts and assist devices.